R & S Landmarks
The current owners, Randy Scheidt and Scott Owens of R & S Landmarks, purchased the building in 2021, after leasing and managing the building for nearly forty years. They renovated the building’s facade and interior in the 1980s. A renovation of the 2nd-floor interior space is currently being considered.
The Ulrich Block building has always had commercial use. It has been home to numerous businesses and four bakeries. Shortly after Frederick Ulrich bought the property in 1856, he started his own bakery, where he was tasked with baking bread for the Union Army during the Civil War.
The photographer who took this colorized photo in the 1870s used the courthouse as his vantage point. You can see the front of the Ulrich Block building in the lower-right of the image. The strip of road in the lower-left corner is Washington Street. Left of center, near the top, is First Presbyterian Church.
“Our Stories Illuminated” is a special effects video presentation planned for Columbus Marathon weekend in late September 2021. The Columbus Area Bicentennial steering committee has commissioned Blockhouse Studios for this show to be displayed on the Ulrich Block Building downtown.
An 1984 article from The Republic Newspaper about planned 1984 renovations to the Ulrich Block Building.
A Republic article about downtown revitalization projects. The 1984 Ulrich Block renovation was complete at this point and is featured.